Do You Still Need Reasons to contact your Senators to vote against Betsy DeVos for US Secretary of Education?
The Senate HELP Committee hearings begin on Wednesday, January 11.
When you're ready to contact your Senators click on the image below for Network for Public Education Action.
1) Indiana Freshman Senator Todd Young is on the HELP (Health, Education, Labor and Pensions) committee which will hold the confirmation hearing on Ms. DeVos on January 11.
Demand that Senators Who Have Received DeVos Money Recuse Themselves
Between 1997 and 2016 the DeVos family contributed at least $283,000 to the Alticor PAC. Alticor is the parent company of Amway, and as we all know...Amway is a DeVos family company.
...Alticor PAC Totals:
Todd Young - $2,000
...The Senate Leadership Fund describes itself as an "independent Super PAC" and claims that its sole goal is "to protect and expand the Republican Senate Majority...This goal seems to have resonated with the DeVos family - they contributed $2,225,000 between 9/27/16 to 11/1/16
...Senate Leadership Fund Totals:
Todd Young - $12,325,017
...Between 2014 and 2016 the DeVos family has contributed over $500,000 to the ESAFund...Todd Young's 2016 campaign received $134,086.68 from ESAFund.
...DeVos Family's Direct Contributions...Todd Young - $48,600 ($5,400 from Betsy DeVos)
~~~Do you think Todd Young can give an unbiased hearing to Betsy DeVos's qualifications for Secretary of Education?
2) Listen to a discussion about Betsy DeVos with
- Diane Ravitch, President of NPE, former Assistant Secretary of Education under Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander (George H.W. Bush)
- Lisa Graves, Exec Dir. Center for Media and Democracy
- Tawanna Simpson, Detroit Board of Education
Important quotes from the video, above.
"[She has] devoted her wealth to...attacking the very idea of having universal public education for all students that's truly public." – Lisa Graves
"...she's the most unqualified person ever to be nominated for this..." – Diane Ravitch
"[She] and her family provide lots of money to legislators to make sure...laws go the way they want to have unmandated, unaccountable and corrupt charter schools in our city..." – Tawanna Simpson
"...charter schools come to our traditional public schools and cherry pick the best students. They don't take the students who need the most help because it makes no economic sense...it costs more money to educate students that have...additional educational needs." – Towanna Simpson
"Wall Street is one of the biggest backers of charter schools...there's something called the "New Markets Tax Credit"...they're able to make a tremendous return on their investment in charters because of write-offs on federal taxes..." – Diane Ravitch
"School privatization has been tried in Chile and in Sweden and the results have been very clear. The first and most important product is hyper-segregation, because everybody goes off to be with people just like themselves." – Diane Ravitch
~~~Do you think that Betsy DeVos represents the interests of the vast majority of America's school children who attend public schools?
3) Consider this discussion ...
Will Trump and DeVos cripple education?
~~~Do you think that Betsy DeVos, as the Secretary of Education, would work to improve the education of all American children?
4) Read How Bad Is DeVos? So Bad..., by Peter Greene
Betsy DeVos has...never been a public school student and never worked as a teacher, administrator or state level education bureaucrat. Betsy DeVos is less qualified than John King [, the current Secretary of Education].
...Betsy DeVos has never run an organization as sprawling and varied as an urban school district, and has no experience with any such educational system. Betsy DeVos is less qualified than Arne Duncan.
...Bottom line-- even if you think that Betsy DeVos is bang-on correct in her education ideas* there is no reason at all to believe that she has any of the tools necessary to succeed as head of the US Department of Education.
Betsy DeVos is supremely unqualified, the most terrible of the terrible choices for Secretary of Education.
~~~Do you think that the Secretary of Education needs some experience in the field of education before taking office?
5) Consider these questions written by Russ Walsh for Betsy DeVos to answer before she takes her seat in the office of the Secretary of Education. I've reproduced only one, but they are all important...
Ten Questions for Betsy DeVos
10. In the end, Ms. DeVos, as the person designated to lead the federal Department of Education, overseeing the programs and resources for the 90% of American school children who attend traditional public schools, does a viable system of public education matter to you at all?
~~~Based on her history, do you think that America's public schools matter to Betsy DeVos?
6) Read any of the hundreds of articles and blog posts describing how Betsy DeVos has no professional qualifications to do the job for which she has been nominated and has spend her millions tying to damage public schools around the country. Click the link below.
Meet Betsy DeVos: Your New US Secretary of Education